How To Handle A Debt Collection Lawsuit

Don’t Worry About The Lawsuit A Minute Longer Than You Have To

Has the local sheriff served you notice of a debt collection lawsuit in Georgia? Did you receive notice that your wages are being garnished? The most important thing to remember when you face a collection lawsuit is to act fast and have an experienced bankruptcy lawyer to guide you.

At my law firm, Hammond & Hammond, P.C., we take action immediately. I will take care of the details for you and help you address any underlying debt issues as efficiently as possible. Contact my law office in Jonesboro immediately at 770-603-6572 to stop the lawsuit from going any further.

What Is A Collection Lawsuit?

When you fall behind or stop making payments on a loan, a creditor can call you and ask you to make payments. The creditor cannot automatically garnish your wages, put a lien on your home or conduct other collection activities. The creditor must first sue you in court and obtain a judgment.

What does the process look like?

  • Complaint: The creditor files a complaint naming you as the defendant as well as any other relevant parties such as a spouse or co-signatory to the loan.
  • Service of summons: The creditor is required to serve you with a notice that you are being sued.
  • Response: You have a limited time to respond to the complaint and raise defenses. If you miss the limited window to respond or choose to not respond, the court can enter a default judgment against you.
  • Judgment: After reviewing the case, the court will make a ruling. If the court enters a judgment against you, the creditor or collection agency can enforce the judgment.

The explanation above is only a general description of the court process. You should have a lawyer on your side to guide you. I can help make sure that you meet all necessary deadlines and make strategic decisions based on your individual circumstances.

Contact Me And I’ll Handle The Lawsuit For You

Do not ignore notice of a collection lawsuit. Schedule a free consultation with me, attorney Allen Hammond, and let me take care of the situation immediately. All you have to do is contact my law firm at 770-603-6572 or send an email to get the process started.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.